Summer has arrived, bringing warm weather that beckons dogs to frolic outside in the sunshine. However, sometimes the temperature can soar to extreme heights, making outdoor play uncomfortable or even dangerous for our furry friends. If you happen to own a small dog breed, they may be particularly sensitive to such weather conditions. But fret not! There are numerous engaging and physical activities you and your tiny tot can enjoy indoors while keeping cool.
- Engage in Trick Training: One outstanding approach to challenging your dog’s cognitive abilities while nurturing a strong connection with them is to teach them a variety of tricks. Starting from the basics, such as “sit” or “shake,” will pave the way for your dog to learn and execute more complex tricks in the future, like “roll over” or “play dead.” Use positive reinforcement by rewarding your furry friend with treats or their favorite dog toy whenever they follow through correctly! If you’re a beginner at dog training or need some assistance, our Online Classroom provides a comfortable and flexible learning platform where you can access courses at your convenience, right from your home.
- Indoor Fetch: Traditionally, fetch is an outdoor game. But who says it can’t be just as entertaining inside? If you have a spacious room, use it as your indoor play area. Choose a soft toy that won’t cause any damage to your furniture or the floor. Motivate your dog to fetch the toy and bring it back to you. Celebrate their success with treats or verbal praises. If your dog is unfamiliar with the concept of “fetch,” turn this game into an educational moment – a fun and interactive training session!
- Delight in a Treat Hunt: A creative way to entertain your dog is to turn snack time into an engaging treasure hunt. Hide their favorite treats around the house and let their keen sense of smell lead the way. This activity does wonders in stimulating their senses while keeping them occupied. Start with hiding spots that are easy to sniff out and, as your dog’s treasure hunting skills improve, make it more challenging. If your dog particularly enjoys this sniffing game, you might want to consider our online K9 Nose Work Course, which is a perfect option especially for small dogs!
- Create a Mini Indoor Agility Course: Convert your living space into a fun-filled agility course for your dog, using everyday items like chairs, boxes, and cushions. Encourage your dog to jump over obstacles, crawl through makeshift tunnels, and weave between objects, always ensuring their safety. Treats can serve as great motivators to entice your dog to participate in the activity. This enjoyable pastime not only gets your dog physically active but also significantly improves their body awareness. Always prioritize safety by removing any objects that could potentially cause harm to your four-legged friend.
- Engage in a Game of Hide and Seek: Enjoy a lively game of hide and seek with your dog by concealing yourself behind furniture or in a closet and calling out their name. When they find you, reward them with treats or praise. This game not only cultivates a reliable recall but also improves their responsiveness while providing amusement!
- Stimulate Their Mind with Puzzle Toys: Puzzle toys are an excellent way to challenge your dog’s intellect and keep them engaged. Fill a puzzle toy with treats or kibble and let your dog figure out how to retrieve the tasty rewards. With a wide range of puzzle toys available, select one that suits your dog’s size and skill level.
- Indulge in a Spa Day: Pamper your pint-sized pup with a luxurious spa day, which includes a relaxing bath, a thorough brushing of their coat, and a gentle nail trim. This not only strengthens your bond with your dog but also ensures they look and feel their best. If your dog enjoys water, a short play session with the hose or a small kiddie pool outdoors can add to the fun. Just remember to limit their sun exposure.
- Consider Dog Daycare: When you need your little furball to expend excess energy on hot days, dog daycare is an excellent option. Our daycare facilities are always air-conditioned, ensuring your dog stays comfortably cool. Apart from the social aspect of daycare, they can participate in various activities throughout the day, including Yappy Hour and Quick Train! Plus, one of the greatest benefits is that they return home pleasantly tired, allowing you both to unwind and cuddle together on the couch.
This summer, there is an abundance of entertaining indoor activities you and your small dog can partake in. Whether it’s teaching them new tricks, engaging in indoor fetch, or setting up an agility course, these activities are sure to keep your dog entertained while strengthening the bond between you. Remember to employ positive reinforcement techniques and prioritize safety at all times.